Skip to main content

Are funding opportunities available in the BCB program?

All first year students are funded through BBSP. Students join an academic department as well as their thesis lab at the end of their first year. Funding for second year and beyond is available through several mechanisms including fellowships from the BCB program. However, most students will be funded by their mentor. All biogical and biomedical students at UNC receive funding consisting of a stipend, payment of tuition, student fees and health insurance (self-only).

Are internships available?

Yes, some recent internship hosts have included BectonDickinson Technologies, GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, and the Environmental Protection Agency.

Are BCB students allowed to hold part time positions in addition to their graduate research assistantships?

Generally, no. Graduate students are considered full time employees, and, therefore, technically not supposed to have outside employment if they are supported from NIH grants.  Internships are acceptable because the student is not supported from a grant during this time.

How many rotations will I have before I join a final lab?

You will have to do three rotations over the course of your first year in the program, one rotation during the Fall semester and two rotations during the Spring semester.  There are many factors to be considered when choosing rotations and you should feel free to talk to the progression director, director of graduate studies or your first year group advisor about any concerns you have regarding rotations.


Find my way around campus?

Campus maps are available online.

Get a campus parking permit?

Very little parking is available on campus. Contact Parking Services to investigate parking options.

Get around Chapel Hill?

Since parking is limited, most people use Chapel Hill’s free public transit system.
Click here for a map of the area’s many walking/bicycle paths.

Get my UNC Student ID?

Contact the UNC One Card office.

Get a UNC Email Account?

Your e-mail account will be created when you obtain your ONYEN a user ID that lets you access many university services.

Register my car or get a North Carolina driver’s license?

You’ll need a North Carolina driver’s license before you can register your car–and you should do both within 30 days of moving to the state. Contact the NC Department of Motor Vehicles

Get North Carolina residency for tuition purposes?

Consult our online guide for the residency application process.