During this unique time, we are providing additional mental health resources for our UNC Bioinformatics and Computational Biology students and faculty. This list may be updated regularly. If you should have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to Will Valdar or John Cornett in the Curriculum offices. We are here to help!
Mental Health Resources during Remote Learning due to COVID-19: Mental health can be a challenge during this global health emergency. These are stressful times and it makes sense to be anxious. There are things you can do to help yourself. Counseling and Psychological Services is open and making appointments via Zoom.
Chapel Hill Domestic
More numbers you can call to talk to a counselor (external to UNC)
- Talkspace – 24/7 access, no appointments or commuting needed, can switch therapists at no extra costs, flexible plans (not instant — need to register)
- BetterHelp – World’s largest counseling service, 100% online, can do messages, chat, phone, video sessions – (not instant — need to register)
- Psychology Today – find a therapist, how to work remotely, and more
For Coronavirus concerns, please visit these resources
STUDENT MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES:
Graduate school is a time of increased stress and pressure that is sustained over a long period of time. Many students find that they need additional support to manage the stress. UNC has resources available to help you manage these stresses.
HEELS Care Network: https://care.unc.edu
The Heels Care Network is a gateway for mental health and wellness resources for everyone on campus: to find a support group, learn strategies for mental health, connect with training and advocacy organizations, or find wellness events on campus. The Heels Care Network also includes support resources for community members who are not doing well and are seeking immediate help.
Health and well-being services during COVID-19:
EMOTIONAL SUPPORT FOR SOM EMPLOYEES:
NEW EMOTIONAL SUPPORT SERVICES including Telehealth and hotline info. WEBSITE LINK HERE: https://www.unchealthcare.org/wellbeing/toolkit/toolkit-overview/mental-healthemotional-support-resources-for-co-workers-and-prov/
ALL ON WEBSITE ABOVE AND LISTED BELOW:
UNCMC/SOM emotional support resources:
INFORMATION Hotline – Integrated Emotional Support Program can be reached at 919 966 5479
- TO TALK TO SOMEONE BY PHONE SAME DAY: Crisis counseling and referral
UNCMC Occupational Health can be reached at 919 966 4480
APPS: Below are some apps that are useful for promoting mindfulness and treating anxiety and depression. Some are apps used in our program and others have been reviewed positively by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Additional resources can be found here.
Depression Treatment Apps:
Anxiety Treatment Apps:
- AnxietyCoach (Mayo Clinic)
- Panic Relief
- Click here for a list of good apps reviewed by the Anxiety Disorders Association of America.
- CBT-i Coach
- For non-healthcare providers, Stop, Breathe & Think now offers a category with extra free meditations to help combat Coronavirus anxiety
Websites for guided meditation or suggestions for distractions:
Online resources related to wellbeing: